TOWN OF ENFIELD
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Job ID #08-0010
- SALARY: $95,000 - $105,000
- CLOSING DATE: September 20, 2007
- EXPERIENCE & TRAINING: Significant hands on experience in highly technical and complex organizations. A Masters degree, preferably with an emphasis in Information Systems, Computer Science is preferable, a BS/BA degree with substantial relevant experience, or significant industry with a proven track record of success.
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) reports directly to the ITPC Board and serves as the leader for developing and enhancing the applications and systems utilized in providing technology solutions to the Town of Enfield and School District (hereinafter referred to as the User Community). This position will provide vision, direction, leadership, and management for the information technology department, as well as managing the Town's total cost of technology ownership through the IT Internal Service Fund.
The CTO has overall responsibility for successful delivery of technology and technology services to the Town of Enfield, Enfield Public Schools and all related departments. The CTO will provide the leadership to drive business and educational advancements on schedule, on budget, and with a high degree of quality. The CTO will provide solution-focused leadership with long-term vision and contribute to the decision making process as part of the ITPC executive management team.
· Develop an effective business focused and professional IT organization.
· Work closely with department and educational unit managers, project managers and technical leaders to understand the User Communities business objectives and system requirements, ensuring that the technical direction is consistent across projects.
· Create continuous improvement and quality management processes to enhance performance and provide increased functionality.
· Works collaboratively with the “user community” to deliver focused, value-added, and innovative solutions.
· Develops business and educational driven systems and product technology standards using state architectures, technology strategies, roadmaps, and ultimately projects that align with the reference state.
· At the program level, recommends and manages all implementations of approved technology solutions.
· Stays current by monitoring emerging information technology "best practices" and standards.
· Accountable for all Enterprise level technical design, development, and implementations.
· Develops, recommends, and manages approved IT budgets that reflect short and long-term strategies.
· Review and recommend major contracts for computing and information technology services and equipment.
· Responsible for the development, review, and certification of all back up, disaster recovery, and business continuity procedures and plans.
B. Required Skills:
- Results-oriented self-starting professional who can generate excitement; strong technical and project management skills.
· Significant organizational development skills with a proven track record of success.
· Thorough understanding of how architectural choices impact on internal/external User Community.
· Able to effectively communicate highly technical aspects of architecture and integration to management and clients.
· Ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence.
· Service provider organization experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge/expertise in several of the various technology disciplines including Infrastructure, information/data, Application development, Security, and IT architecture.
· Ability to analyze technologies and apply them as part of integrated solutions.
· Strong analytical/conceptual skills; ability to create original concepts/theories for projects.
· Significant industry standard project and program management experience.
· Must understand Software Development methodologies and have managed full life cycles from point of inception, analysis, development, QA, implementation and user acceptance.
· Knowledge of and/or experience working with a government managed IT environment.
· Knowledge of and/or experience working with an educational institution to integrate curriculum with technology.
· Knowledge of the electronic information requirements for the State of Connecticut.
· Knowledge of the electronic information standards for the Federally funded programs/grants.
D. Other Characteristics:
Beyond the specific duties and skill set listed above, in order to be successful the CTO will need to bring a distinctive set of natural management abilities and operating style. The newly formed IT organization within the Town of Enfield has merged both the Town and School District IT operations together. As a consequence, the CTO will be stepping into a newly created position and will be faced with an array of challenges that will call for some distinctive qualities. These include:
· Leadership. Has natural abilities to motivate people to want to follow his/her lead
· Relationship-building skills. Has a talent for getting to know others, understanding what makes them perform, and identifying ways to bring them to their best performance.
- Tactful but firm. Knows how to bring about improvements in policies and performance incrementally and through constructive criticism, but firm about the need to meet agreed-upon objectives.
- Innovative. Enjoys discovering new ways to expand or improve operations or services to the User Community.
- Has winning ways: is effective at winning people over through personal appeal, delivering on promises, being a good listener, being fair in his or her dealing with others.
- Motivated to deliver on promised results.
- Strategic thinker. Has natural strengths at looking beyond the immediate tasks at hand to plan the steps required to achieve a longer-term objective.
· This is a Full time position with industry competitive compensation with full benefits.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities which comprise this position.
Interested applicants apply by September 20, 2007. Applications are available on-line at www.enfield-ct.gov or by calling the Human Resources Department at (860) 253-6345. Completed applications can be:
(1) mailed to Town of Enfield, Human Resources Department, 820 Enfield Street, Enfield, CT 06082
(2) e-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
(3) fax your resume or application to (860) 253-6264.
The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department. EOE/AA/M/F