TOWN OF ENFIELD
CIVILIAN DISPATCHER – POLICE DEPARTMENT
Job ID #08-0036
- RATE OF PAY: $19.04/start
- CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, January 22, 2008
- EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: High school diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of experience in work involving duties comparable to the duties described or a minimum of one (1) year of employment as a police officer.
- HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week; varying shifts based on seniority.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs activities relative to the dispatching of messages and information; performs other related work as may be required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the Headquarters Commander who issues instructions regarding work assignments and who may review performance periodically to determine effectiveness.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Regular and punctual attendance; receives messages at police headquarters; evaluates information received and takes appropriate action; transmits information and/or instructions to patrol cars or to any designation as required; maintains complete and accurate records of messages, complaints and information received and transmitted; operates various types of communication and office equipment; monitors prisoners via remote cameras.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS: Performs related work as necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY: Ability to speak the English language clearly; ability to operate radio and teletype as well as other communication and office equipment; clerical aptitude; ability to work effectively with the general public; ability to type at a reasonable rate of speed and ability to work various shifts.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES: Good character; clarity of voice, both on radio and telephone; ability to handle stressful situations.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities which comprise this position.
Interested applicants apply by January 22, 2008. Applications are available on-line at www.enfield-ct.gov or by calling the Human Resources Department at (860) 253-6345. Choose ONE of the following ways to apply:
(1) mail completed applications or resumes to Town of Enfield, Human Resources Department, 820 Enfield Street, Enfield, CT 06082
(2) e-mail your resume in Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
(3) fax your resume or application to (860) 253-6264.
The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department. EOE/AA/M/F