Enfield EMS typically staffs one EMT and one Paramedic on every unit. The paramedic functions as the person in charge of the unit and provides direct supervision to their EMT partner. Our paramedics must be independent thinkers who can simultaneously provide direction to multiple first responders, assess a patient, interacting with bystanders, and monitor the safety of the scene.
Because we hold ourselves to the highest clinical standards, each of our paramedics must be knowledgeable and able to pass regular skill and knowledge tests. A typical transport from Enfield involves a 30 minute transport time, requiring each of our paramedics to have a strong working knowledge of our standing orders and a strong ability to turn theory into practice.
In order to be qualified to work with the Enfield EMS, you must be an outstanding individual. The people we hire demonstrate themselves to be both excellent Paramedics and hard-working individuals. The people we are interested in employing fit the following description:
- Consistent, positive attitude
- Hard working in every manner
- Mature and self-confident
- Customer service oriented
- Able to function within the concept of Medical Team
- Physically fit
- Able to operate efficiently in high stress situations
- Current driver’s license
- Currently possess a Connecticut paramedic license or be able to obtain one prior to commencement of employment
- Current BLS CPR, ACLS, PALS cards
- Must have current, Connecticut North Central Region Medical Control or be able to obtain within 60 days of hire. (The EMS Division will facilitate this process for successful candidates from out of the region.)
Our Care providers enjoy both a great work environment and a competitive compensation package. This package includes the following:
- Starting hourly rate is based upon experience
- Comprehensive health insurance package at low cost to employees, full family coverage is also available
- Municipal pension program
- Optional 457B retirement plan participation (above and beyond pension)
- Multiple shift patterns and lengths
- Paid holidays
- Sick days
- Vacation days with the number increasing throughout your tenure
- Personal days
More detailed information and specifics may be obtained from the Town of Enfield’s Human Resources Department.
Testing & Hiring Process
In order to join Enfield EMS as a Paramedic, you will need to pass a rigorous evaluation process. This process includes:
- Written test of 100 questions
- Physical agility test
- Practical examination
- Map reading exercise
- Drug test
- Criminal background test
- Psychological profile
- Medical exam
- Reference and employment check
This process ensures that we hire only the most qualified, talented, motivated, and professional EMS Care providers to work for our service. This rigorous process is the result of our belief that we owe each employee here the best partner that we can find for them and that every citizen and visitor to Enfield deserves to be taken care of by professional, highly competent emergency medical care providers.
If you’d like to apply for a position with Enfield EMS, you will need to fill out the application (PDF) and upon completion return it to Town of Enfield Human Resources Department.